Herb grinders are a fairly popular item to order online. In the past, getting a grinder often meant going to a brick and mortar store; typically, a “head shop” or a tobacco outlet. You might be able to see which types of grinder are available, but prices were usually higher than what you might find today by comparison. Online retailers that sell grinders can often offer them at far lower prices, and at the same level of quality of merchandise, if not better.
Another advantage of grinders being available online? Reviews, comparisons, and recommendations of what you should get. In the past, that might have meant knowing someone who had the experiencing of spending a lot of money on different types of herb grinders. These days, you can simply look up reviews on the best grinders for your buck, which is exactly what this list is for. Below, you will find more information on what grinders can do, what sets each grinder apart from another, and which grinder may be best for your budget.
Why Grind? A Closer Look at Grinders.
The easy answer: Grinders are used to grind herbs. What you use those herbs for is your business entirely, but chances are fairly good that any herb that you want to use shouldn’t be used in its whole form. Grinders can be used on whichever part of the herb you’re going to consume, and are an effective way to render them down into a more usable consistency that is both easier to consume and easier to clean.
Grinders are most commonly used for:
- Loose leaf tobacco, such as the type that you might grow on your own. The process of taking tobacco from its original state to the state where it can be smoked takes time. You need to proper dry, and sometimes cure, a tobacco leaf. Once it’s ready to grind, a proper grinder will allow you to quickly chop and reduce it down to a form where you can simply roll it into a cigarette, load it into a tube, or pack it into a pipe.
- Smokeable herbs. Again, being able to grind herbs down is important, because it means that you can combust more of the material with far less waste, and often at a greater level of efficiency. With different types of herbs, in fact, you may not be able to get much benefit at all unless you grind them down tot he proper consistency. This usually relates to the natural oils of the plant itself; by the time fire would heat the herb through, without grinding, those substances may already be damaged or otherwise weaker than they would be in a ground state.
- Culinary herbs. The same is true of herbs that you cook with and eat. Herbs like basil, thyme, rosemary, and more all need to be ground down if you want them to quickly infuse oils and foods with their flavors. If you’re a fan of fresh herbs, and you want to quickly add them to a meal, a grinder can make that happen fairly easily.
What are the Different Types of Grinder?
- A 2 Piece grinder is just that- two pieces of a grinding mechanism, usually both forming an enclosure, with grinding “teeth” on one side that turn and chop the dried materials inside. 2 piece grinders typically lack the mesh screen that other models have.
- A 3 piece grinder has a screen that is located beneath the teeth of the grinder itself. This screen can be used to keep out sediment and catch certain types of resin that herbs release during the grinding process. As a matter of purity, these screens are typically the best way to go.
- A 4 piece grinder has a screen that is directly located over a collection chamber in the device, so it’s usually the best option for those that want the most efficient product to both grind and make collection and cleaning easier. The 4 piece is also recommended for herbs that you plan to smoke; the entire setup makes it far easier to collect valuable resins.
There are also “5 piece” grinders and other variations on the grinding setup, but keep in mind that extra pieces may not be as necessary as long as the machining standards of the grinder are up to par.
Our Picks for the Top 4 Grinders
1. Chromium Crusher
Sporting 4 pieces and a 3 chamber design, the Chromium Crusher’s setup makes it optimal for fine pollen filtering. The entire product sports a very durable construction made from zinc alloy, and it even comes with a lifetime limited warranty. For owners that want to get a grinder that can stand up to every day use, the Chromium Crusher’s certainly a model worth consideration.
Also of importance, the pricing of the Chromium Crusher line of grinders is quite reasonable when compared to the competition. For your cost, you get an effective 4 piece grinder that offers well machined CNC aluminum surfaces and a very generous warranty. It’s a weighty product, but that weight lends itself to the durability of the materials used.
2. Space Case
Sporting aero-grade aluminum and an anodized, pseudo-titanium finish, along with a neodymium magnetic lid and well sharpened cutting blades, the Space Case lives up to its name by offering space age grinding. While priced at more of a premium than some of the other grinders that you will find on this list, it also comes with a Lifetime Warranty, along with a lot of positive reviews about build quality and actually effectiveness of the product. If you’re looking for a very solid grinder with something of a novelty in its construction, the Space Case is one to consider.
At 9.6 ounces, it’s a bit over a half a pound, and it’s widely considered to be one of the best investments that you can make for a solid grinder.
3. Santa Cruz Shredder
Another 4 piece grinder, and one that comes in just under the previous entry in terms of price. The Santa Cruz Shredder offers an anodized coating, making it resistant to scratches and wear and tear. Perfect for those that like to take their grinder with them, but are worried about ruining the finish on a polished model. The grip pattern on the grinder itself has been knurled to allow for better grip strength, and easier grinding.
Orders of the unit also come with a pollen press for easier cleaning and grinding. As a mid range grinder, it actually punches might higher than its weight class, with a “7-Catch Design” that makes disassembly and cleaning much easier.
4. Cali Crusher
The second cheapest grinder on the list, but it, too, sports features that you would find in much more expensive products. For a fraction of the price, you can get some serious grinding power, thanks to the aircraft grade billet aluminum used in this grinder’s construction. Along with a stainless steel screen, and an anodized finish, the Cali Crusher also sports neodynium magnets in its lids, allowing for a more secure hold.
Reviews for this grinder are largely positive; as with most grinders in its price range, it’s actually got very reasonable shipping costs, but unlike others, the quality of construction and overall fabrication of the product and its individual parts are leaps and bounds ahead of what you would find in a brick and mortar star. If you’re looking for a very decent grinder at a reasonable cost, the Cali Crusher is certainly a wise decision.
Our Choice for the #1 Grinder: The Chromium Crusher
We’ve looked at a lot of very capable, very well made grinders in the list above, but few can compete with the Chromium Crusher in terms of what it can deliver, and its price point. The Chromium Crusher’s limited lifetime warranty may even seem like overkill; considering the low price point, you could buy two for the price that you would pay for a crusher that can do half as much as this model. If you’re searching for a grinder that you can use, or buy as a gift for a friend, without worrying about the cost of losing one yourself, this is the product for you.
Even better, the Chromium Crusher itself is quite durable and effective when it comes to grinding. At a low cost, with a high rate of actually getting the job done with its sharp blades and ease of cleaning, there’s really few products on the market that can compete with this one. If you’re looking for variations on the Chromium Crusher model, the same company that produces it also makes other grinders worth your consideration.
While the Chromium Crusher is our top pick, we consider all of the grinders listed above to be worth your consideration. We encourage you to check the reviews on them for yourself before you make a decision on your purchase. In your comparisons, however, you will find that for the positive feedback, few can compete with the Chromium Crusher entry.